Friday, August 31, 2012

EM59cl to EN51nv 10 GHz QSO

Woo-hoo again!  With the advancing of Hurricane Issac's remnants, I was hoping that the increased gulf moisture would aid us in a two-way 10 GHz QSO.  Ron said he was up for it.  When I stepped out this morning to load up my car with the rig; I sure could notice the big change in humidity.  The temperature was a bit warmer as well (79 F).  Rain was falling south of St. Louis, but nothing but overcast skies over Girard, IL.  Ron, W9ZIH reported partly cloudy skies and a big band opening to the east coast from 2 meters to 23 cm!  He wasn't hearing the WB9PNU/b.

I was up and running by 8:35 and I could copy John's beacon S-2 to S-7 but the FSK sounded a lot like auroral buzz.  Rain scatter, I understand, can make that happen.  According to my smartphone it was now raining in St. Louis, but just a few sprinkles in EM59cl.  I gave Ron a phone call and he told me he was just beginning to hear John's beacon.  Next he listened for me and was able to pick me up!  We made the two-way at 1405 Z on 10 GHz!   This is a distance of 195.8 miles!

Notice the orange/brown dotted line which is the surface trough.
Hepburn page for today's 10 GHz QSO with W9ZIH
Like my previous post, I am including some WX related charts.  I think the surface trough (orange/brown dotted line) may be significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment