Sunday, October 6, 2013

October Illinois SLAMS Breakfast

Sunday, October 6, 2013.  I'd like to thank SLAMS members for making the trek from Denny's in Missouri to the wild and wooly countryside of Troy, IL.  We gathered at The Country Pride Restaurant at the TA Truck Stop in Troy.  Harold and Dallas were there and it was great seeing everyone!  After breakfast we went to a beautiful park just east of the restaurant to demonstrate 10 GHz.  I set up at the southeast corner of the park about 100 or so yards from everyone else and we demonstrated microwave.  It was great hearing Mel, K0PFX, Jim, N5MU, Herbert, AF4JF and Mike, N0OBI!  Congratulations Mike on getting on 3 cm!  Well done!    We were able to activate EM58br.  Mel was able to hear the WB9PNU/b, but I wasn't able to hear it at my park location.  Mel warned that it was coming in well, but aiming the dish was very tight.  I think I had too many obstructions in my path for I moved my dish in very small increments.  After the demo, Debbie and I found a couple of geocaches in the park and then we went to Ohlman cemetery to see if I could hear the beacon from there in EM59ji some 78 miles away from the beacon.  When I was there a month ago the beacon was 599 plus.  Today, however, I didn't hear it.  It was a blustery day and possibly the steady, strong winds may have blown any paths away.  Nonetheless, it was fun to try and it sure was great seeing everyone!                                                                                                                                        
                                                     (Debbie, KC9ULA outside the Country Pride)

                                                 (The October SLAMS Breakfast meeting)
                                             
                                                (Harold, Reba and Debbie ordering breakfast)







1 comment:

  1. I have copied the WB9PNU/B on 10368.9MHz too, but the signal was coming "from the skies", elevation 8deg. above the horizont. It was S9+, but only S1 when I aimed the dish at the horizont.

    73 Herbert
    AF4JF

    ReplyDelete