Wednesday, February 27, 2013

10 GHz Snowscattter Attempt

Tuesday 27 February 2013:  It's been snowing lightly between Girard, IL (EM59) and the WB9PNU/b in EM48.  I was wondering if I could hear the beacon via snowfall scatter propagation.  Unfortunately, at my QTH in Girard my 10 GHz rig is looking into a tree and some homes.  I varied the dish elevation.  A couple of times I thought I heard the beacon faintly, but I cannot confirm that observation.  It may have been wishful thinking on my part.  I left the rig running for a half hour before listening.  Oh well it was a fun experiment and if I was more motivated to go out into the cold I could have gone to my favorite microwave spot about 8 miles from here, but such was not the case today!
73,
Ron, KO0Z

2 comments:

  1. Try this program ..

    http://www.frontiernet.net/~aflowers/rainscatter


    It really helps to know where to point the dish :)

    73 Herbert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I love Andy's rainscatter program. Unfortunately it wasn't showing any storms to bounce off of that day. I only swept a 25 degree arc mostly because I didn't want to put my rig outside the doorway into the precipitation. I even tried elevation, but with not too much luck.

    Cheers,

    Ron, KO0Z

    ReplyDelete