Thursday, March 15, 2012

Success so far!

Hello fellow SLAMERS! I finished wiring up the data line from the FT-817 for ptt and ran DC to the DEMI transverter. It was now time for the smoke test. I hooked up the box with all the connectors and the fuse and powered it up without the FT-817 and DEMI hooked up. No fuses were blown! Next came the FT-817 on line with similar results and finally the DEMI and they all passed the smoke test. The FT-817 and DEMI came to life and the 10 MHz light indicates lock so it all looks good. I took the rig out to the back yard this afternoon and pointed it 215 degrees towards DePaul Hospital frp, from the QTH in Girard, IL, EM59, but I didn't hear the beacon. Darn, I was really hoping to hear it. Debbie has a 2 story house, so I will take it upstairs either tonight or tomorrow and try hearing the beacon through the bedroom window (it's not tinted as far as I can tell) and maybe I will hear a dit or two! Wish me luck!

73,

Ron, KO0Z

3 comments:

  1. Ron, I can't copy the beacon from my house either and I only live 9 miles away, don't give up.

    From EM59ck to EM48ss you should aim at 218 degrees, distance is 58 miles.

    -AF4JF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tnx for the encouraging words H. I won't give up. I'll try from upstairs on Friday. I plan to be back in town Sunday afternoon and I will try again then!

      Delete
    2. Watch for thunderstorms between you and the beacon location. I have heard it several times up this way when there were storm or snowstorm clouds between me (in EN50rl and EN60af) and the beacon. It's been fairly loud during these rainscatter times.

      Delete