Sunday, March 18, 2012

More success!





Hello fellow SLAMERS! Jubiation! John and Herbert, good news! The 10 GHz beacon is still working! My 10 GHz transverter was able to pick up the signal! I met with Dave, KB0PE at Graham Road and I-270 but we didn't hear it. We then parked near DePaul Hospital and we found the signal at 144.780 MHz, but the signal was drifting. This is from a cold start and we tracked the signal up until the 10 MHz osc stabilized and we now get the signal at 144.580 MHz. Next we went to MO Route 94 and I-70 and we copied the beacon there with no problems! Yea.

Next I couldn't get the transveter to key, but found out that I really needed to use the ACC port and not the Data port. We jury rigged a patch cable which works, but I need to get a 8 pin mini din plug and make a permanent patch cord.

After I get that then I will need to set the power levels for XMIT and Receive!

A big tnx to Dave, KB0PE for his enthusiasm and assistance!

Progress is being made!

73,

Ron, KO0Z

2 comments:

  1. Congrats!

    What are you using for 10MHz oscillator? Some of the "Chinese" TCXO units use 12V stabilizer internally, so you have to have a "voltage booster" to feed it with 13.8V in order to ensure frequency stability. That's more than 12V car battery normally provides ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi H! Yep, you guessed it I have one of the Chinese TCXO units from Ebay. I now have a voltage booster that I will configure. Thank you for sharing your experience!
      Ron, KO0Z

      Delete