Thursday, October 5, 2023

ARRL 10GHz And Up Contest in September 2023 as seen by AF4JF - part 2

We have written several postings about this year ARRL 10GHz And Up contests non this blog site. I have published a video recording in my previous posting here (click to open) with a request for you to estimate how big a distance was covered by that nice FM QSO. I have received several email guesses, nobody posted a Comment here on the blog, so I am going to say it here. This video shows a 10GHz Rain Scatter QSO that spanned 299km between Greg WQ0P in EM19wf and Ron KO0Z in EM38pw. Once again:



This was not the first video that I have recorded that day (September 16, 2023). I have worked Harry WA0CNS from EM48qs while he was at his usual location in EM48rl. The distance is just 33km, but the signal usually is not strong enough for SSB for there are hills between us. We made it on SSB this time, but the next video recording shows just the lining up phase of the QSO (I did not have enough hands to operate my station and record it):



I have one more recording from that day (September 16, 2023). It demonstrates how strong our 10GHz beacon (WB9PNU/B) located in EM48ss was at my location in EM48qs that morning, about 15km away. We usually do not hear the beacon there at all, for there is a ridge between the locations:



Last recording is from the first leg of the SPRINT Microwave contest on Saturday May 6, 2023 in Hannibal. Location is Lovers Leap in EM49hq, the beacon in EM48ss is 129km away. As you can see on the recording, I am pointing to a tree and our beacon comes through Rain Scatter:


Let me finish this posting with a picture - one that shows how beautiful the place above Hannibal where we usually go in EM49hq really is. This is from August 19, 2023, first leg of the ARRL 10GHz And Up contest:

Lovers Leap, EM49hq



No comments:

Post a Comment